Migration Airline Fares

BearnBob

Dear All,

Have been offered an excellent migration fare with Cathay Pacific but can't seem to get an offer of anything else from another carrier.

Any insight much appreciated.

Bear

What's a "migration fare" then and how do we get one? I can't see anything on their website.

I was looking at CP the other day, and for Manchester to Sydney with a 2-day stopover in Hong Kong they wanted 3500 quid!

Singapore Airlines is showing flights in February for around 750 pounds on skyscanner.net.

Edited by mungbean

Hmmm... so you already called up Qantas and asked?

https://qantas.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/405

Question

Does Qantas offer Migrant fares?

Answer

Qantas does offer specially priced Migrant fares from some countries designed for those customers immigrating to Australia under certain conditions. These fares are not available online. Contact your local Qantas Office for further information.

Singapore airlines do the 40kg baggage allowance. It's meant to be for PR migrants who are on their way to validate their visa.

We got them to send details on writing - but you don't really need to. You just need to show up with passports and visa grant letters.

There was no special price though. But we found it slightly cheaper than all the brokers such as skyscanner to book direct.

Not sure if this helps. I rang them before I booked to verify the baggage thing would be ok just to be on the safe side

FYI I've just been talking to Cathay Pacific and they told me they don't allow stop-overs on the migration fare which includes 40kg allowance.

(I had been hoping for 2 nights in Hong Kong on the way over...)

Stopovers are possible on standard fares of course, but they only offer 20kg luggage, and extra allowance would be US$ 60/kg (ouch!).

It seems at least with Singapore, that it's a one-off offer for an unvalidated visa - so if it was just a holiday visit to Aus (not to validate a visa) it should be ok?

They obviously must be able to check at the airport when you show the passports. Not sure what to suggest, apart from try a lot of charm on the phone as see what you can get. If you can get an extra 10kg, that would be worthwhile.

I called Emirates to ask about paying for extra luggage, but they're not offering anything apart from excess baggage charge - £40/kg if booked in advance, which is 20% off compared to the at-airport charge.

Think I'm going to go with them anyway... at least they offer 30kg luggage as standard.

So I guess I'll be shipping the rest of my luggage.

I'm flying next week after getting my visa granted yesterday, so don't have a great deal of choice.

I've just booked Cathay for 12 May in premium economy which equals 25kg check-in baggage. But I'm also a oneworld sapphire member, so I get an extra 15kg! Worth checking your membership status, if you are in any of the "loyalty" schemes.

Of course I would have no idea how to carry this 40kg of baggage...

We flying with Cathay Pacific from Frankfurt and for some reason in Germany you get 30kg weight allowance as standard.

I had emailed them about extra weight for migration and they told me to check my ticket, and it states 30kg.

I would love to know why this difference exists. Also we looked at flying with Cathay Pacific on same day from London and would have been £1800 but from Stuttgart our origin airport we could have connected to the same flight in Heathrow and paid £650 for one way ticket. Strange how airlines create fares!!! We now connecting in Frankfurt.

Might be worth bringing up when asking with Cathay Pacific that Germany has 30kg.

With the Emirates prices I've been looking at today, a return leaving next week and coming back in August is only £100 more than a single... Airline fares are a proper black art.

I guess it's possible CP told me 20kg today because I was trying to book on an almost-full flight next week?

I just went with Emirates, Manchester - Dubai - Sydney. So I have 30kg as well.

Tomorrow I'll try to get the rest of my stuff together, estimate number/size/weight and get some 'excess baggage' quotes from these guys. Fortunately I don't have much.

(PSS are probably favourites because their Rhyl depot is only 30 mins away.)

Flying on Tuesday!